Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Restorative Process

Here is a summary of what I have been told by the doctor and nurse practioner of Advanced Intregative Medicine..after two visits, both in which I cried at.

My thyroid treatment that had been currently underway was incorrect..so a new one was given, and will not be successful for another month or so, the way that it progresses.

My body has a severe lacking in iodine. Magnesium, too, which helps produce metabolic energy. Other supplements to help me are Vitamin C and Vitamin B-5, and a few others, because these are important in reconstituting the ADRENAL functions.

At this last visit, I was told that fibromyalgia is a "catch all" for something that most physicians can't pinpoint, or don't try to completely solve. Something called Adrenal Exhaustion was brought to my attention, and a little pamphlet which, well, explains a lot.

Here's the story of a patient that was included in the pamphlet. Most of it is "me" and if it isn't, I'll place an N beside the comment (truly, though, there won't be many "N's."

The first thing Barbara said as she sat down in my office was, "I am totally exhausted." A thirty-eight-year-old grade school teacher, she was barely able to meet the demands of her work. Barbara was nearly desperate in her plea for help. She told me that by the end of each school day, her muscles and joints ached, her throat hurt, and she would develop a low-grade fever. She couldn't even imagine having the strength to prepare dinner for her family, or keep house. Fortunately, her husband did all the domestic activities. The elder of their two children pitched in as well.

When Barbara was able to get nine houre of sleep, she would arise in the morning with the feeling that if she pushed herself hard enough, she could manage through the day. But she felt hardly any joy, spontaneity, and creativity- qualities she considered essential to teach and to parent. For this reason especially, she was depressed, for she was falling far short of her expectations. But she was depressed all the time anyways, she said, even if she'd had a rare good day at school and everything was going well in her family.

If anything out of the ordinary happened- like having a cookie, having a pleasant dinner with friends, staying up past 10:00 pm, shopping for groceries- then her usual end of the day symptoms would be even worse. She usually needed several days or more to recover. If she drank milk or orange juice (N), she would suffer from migraine headaches- sometimes she'd get them regardless....
As a result of these symptoms, Barbara attempted to control each day. She had absolutely no reserves to deal with unforeseen events. She said she couldn't continue on this way. If she didn't get some relief soon, she was going to have to take a medical leave of absense from her work.
I asked Barbara when she last felt well. She replied that she'd been functioning fairly normally until eighteen months before, when she'd been diagnosed with mononucleosis (N, but I had mono in high school and right after that was diagnosed with fibro). She never seemed to recover fully from the mono, she continued, and it was in the following monhts that her current symptom picture began to develop. After a year of not getting any better, she was treated with an antidepressant. This medication had given her a little relief, but the overall effect was not substantial...

MORE: It is our adrenal glands that buffer stress and enable us to stand up to life's onslaughts. These glands give us the capacity to perform and to adapt flexibly to the demands of everyday. It is also the adrenals that enable us to go beyond our usual limits of endurance when needed and help us to recover in a reasonable amount of time...but plainly, Barbara had little capacity left to perform, adapt, or recover.

Stressors
emotions: worry, anxiety, guilt, anger, fear
Insufficient sleep
Chronic infections
Chronic Pain
and more I won't list

Symptoms (I'll list what I deal with)
Excessive fatigue, weakness, nervousness, irritability, mental depression, apprehensions, inability to concentrate, moments of confusion, poor memory, feelings of frustration, light-headedness, dizziness that occurs upon standing, insomia, headaches, tenderness in adrenal area, low body temperature, hair loss, difficulty losing weight, tendency to inflammation, increased susceptibility to autoimmune diseases (I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disorder)...I left out about 1 third of the main list.

Most of these symptoms are "fibromyalgia" symptoms, but now, I have hope that many, if not all, will be sentenced to SILENCE in a few months. I have a peace about it. I was told the fatigue will be the hardest to change though. And that is by far, the worst of it for me.

3 comments:

Sam said...

A real eye-opener to what you deal with. Most people just fluff people like you off as hypo-chondriacs or depressed, but it's obviously so much more. This may sound weird, but thanks for writing all that and letting us have a peek into your life.

Elizabeth said...

Amy I can not thank you enough for sharing all of this with us. I am personally thankful because my sister Debbie is dealing with all of what you listed. She has gone through multiple test to find that there is nothing they can pinpoint. As a matter of fact, here is a copy of her last email she sent about her most recent Dr.'s appointment (she won't mind that I share for I know she is desprate for answers)....

Hi Girls,
Hope you are all having a great day! Today I had physical therapy and on the way home realized I had not yet given you all the latest update. I saw the Neurologist on Friday for my MRI and blood results. WEEELLLL, things are still inconclusive. The MRI came back with some indication of something. Real technical, huh? Actually the radiologist pointed out 3 very small spots on I think its the left frontal lobe (Left forehead area?) which is the area for short term memory and fine motors skills. They are not large enough at this point to indicate that they are the cause of my health issues. However, she is not willing to definately rule out something including MS. The spots are not in the typical area for MS so at this point she does not want to subject me to a spinal tap. Even if it were to be MS because the symtoms didn't start until the last 4-5yrs. I will have "beat the odds" so to speak so it would not be as severe vs. someone who develops it in their twenties. The radiologist also indicated signs of a previous head trama. (whiplash, concusion, etc) Not severe at all but I believe it was in the same area. So, at this time the radiologist recommends using the findings along with whatever other symtoms and findings that have or will develop over time. As of right now the blood work that has come back is negative for Mono, Thyroid, Epstein-Barr, and a few others. The test results for Lyme disease is still not back. Bottom line is that the doctor still believes I am dealing with some type of auto-immune condition (possibly fibromayalsia) so I will continue to be monitored, will have physical therapy for 8wks and will be on specific vitamins and meds to help with the symtoms as well as to hopefully slow down the progression of whatever is going on. She also indicated that life style, diet and mentally challenging my brain (regardless of how frustrating or difficult it is) will play the biggest part in how well I do, regardless of whatever it is that I am dealing with. I also must keep in mind that it will take more effort because of age and that some changes are going to remain as a result of the natural aging process. Please pray that I will take all of this seriously enough to remain committed to making the changes it will reguire. (however long it takes!) Thank you for standing with me in this. I love you all!
Deb

I just receieved this email last week and I know she is extremely frustrated that she has found any answers. The list of symptoms that you listed sound just like those of hers. Would you mind if I passed some of this info to her? Maybe we can talk more when we get together for coffee/tea (hint, hint!!) :0) Thank you so much again for sharing and I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Sweet Peripety said...

Omigosh Beth PASS IT ON!! That is why I posted this in the first place..I felt that God was leading me to say some things, although personal, so that it may help someone else...BTW, I was tested for lymes disease in high school when all this stuff was happening. It was negative..I had elevated kidney levels though...and had seen a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia..which, yes, it is hard to talk about when it is so often misunderstood and plainly not seen. I get sooo frutstrated mentally b/c I forget stuff, get sooo darn confused, and just plain uncreative because I have a bad time with my own brain. I know how your sister feels, besides being tired, feeling like you've been literally run over by a truck most days, and not having a drop of energy in your body. With what I found out...supplements will help, slight diet change (and we're not talking exercise yet for me..I hurt WORSE when I take walks)..the exercise ball though is okay...also, TESTS TESTS TESTS! I took that 24 hour Iodine test..and that's when they said my body sucked the iodine all up. I have had so many all inclusive blood tests in the past few years I can't count them. Hormones have been a BIG issue..especially post partum. In particularly post partum. Also, depression (this is for Sam) hits after post partum too, and it is a REAL thing (i had that BADDDDDD). I know that traumas due to stress and accidents hinder the adrenal workability, so I hope she can get some answers. It's hard when no one understands...she can talk to me anytime.

There is a test I am going to take tomorrow to measure the cortisone level in your body ( I think it's that..I can double check). It's a 24 hour deal and has to be sent away to Washinton State...I am certain, as my doctor, that it will concur with the adrenal exhaustion diagnosis. And, after that test, I will be given another medication..more natural, of course, that will put me on the road to recovery. This alll takes so much time. But it gives HOPE, and when you don't have that, well, it's not good. I know. Please tell your sister that I can listen to anything!!!!
Love ya
Amy