Friday, March 16, 2007

A story in remembrance of Grandma (written a year ago)

Blessing by the CemeteryBy Amy Russell
I never expected that visiting my grandmother's gravesite would become one of the most blessed moments I have being a mother. Two weeks prior, family and friends had gathered to celebrate the life of my grandmother. She had lived a humble and selfless life through serving others rather than herself. The days after her death would be challenging for me- she was the first grandparent of mine to pass away. The knowledge that she walks with Jesus was comforting. However, I needed to see her grave and was anxiously planning that day.
As I set a schedule for going to the cemetery, I would have my husband stay home with our ten month old baby boy. Ella and I would first go see her friends. Then, to the gravesite. That morning as we prepared for our outing, conversation held instruction on being respectful and quiet. Ella, being almost three, was not a quiet, or still, little girl. I admit I wondered why I thought taking her would be the best thing to do, being I knew her energetic personality, but something, or Someone, within me told me to press on with this bright little girl.
So off I went with a small chatterbox in the back seat who anxiously awaited spending time with her friends from church. I kept sneaking glances at her through the mirror and prayed for the next few hours to go smoothly.
And they did...more than I had ever expected. The time at the playground was spent without any timeouts, bumps, or bruises. This was almost nothing short of a miracle in my book.
As we drove away from the playground my heart began to pound. In just minutes we would be standing beside my grandmother's tiny grave. It was almost more than I could bear. After parking the car inside the cemetery, Ella and I walked hand in hand to the place I knew my tears would finally burst. I knelt as I told Ella that Great Grandma was in heaven at that moment. My little girl chose that moment to look up into the sky. And so I did, too, and we took in the clear blue sky. "Up there?" her voice inquired with a whisper. "Yes, Sweetie. We came here to remember her in a very special way," I told her. Ella turned her head towards mine. "Mommy?" She placed her petite hands on the sides of my face. "Don't cry Momma. It's okay." Then, she rested her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arm around my neck. "I wuv you, Momma." Her whispered words of encouragement and love lightened my heart. I breathed the scent of her hair and felt the warmth of her body. I don't know if Ella will ever know what those innocent tender words did for me. I knew God had planned this moment for my daughter and I to experience Him, and Him alone. Even more, He used my spirited almost three year old to minister to me, her own mother. The result was a woman who felt like she accomplished one of her goals in life- being a positive influence on her child so she would show sensitivity and compasssion towards other people. Ella did that, for me, and I felt fully refreshed to live my life so she could see Jesus in return.
I hope my grandmother was able to see or hear those few moments in the cemetery. If she had, I know she smiled and gave one of her famous giggles.

2 comments:

Sam said...

I feel weird commenting on really personal posts, but I want you to know that this really touched me. I knew your Grandma as Aunt, and she was a wonderful sweet woman. Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

That was a very touching story Amy. It's amazing the power of a childs words.