Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Mixed Up Parade

The other day, probably a week ago, Ella walked around the neighborhood, along with daddy and Buddy, in her one piece swimsuit and light up snow boots. Oh HOW I wish I had gotten a picture of that. The last few days have been nice with Rich off. Yesterday and the day before Ella and I got to swim (Buddy does not like too...at least he refuses to enter into any kind of cool water). I also bargain shopped at the Gap, for .97 tops and pants, and 1.97 shoes. And, got some cute in style items for myself at the thrift store that are the 40/s 50s and nautical styles that seem to be in. Including a CABI tshirt! That's unheard of, at east to me! I love shopping and it gives me a sense of accomplishment *not entitlement, though* and it's kind of a mini/cheap hobby. At least, I have to make it that way, especially when it comes to kids' clothing.

Last week, our praise band finished the vocal contributions to our first cd. There's four of us, and we only went two times to do 12 songs. The other instruments have to add there part. We have a couple of things in the fall and winter scheduled as far as Rich and I's own music performances, and with that, we hope (note, I said hope) to start on our long thought out Christmas CD. While we are in the "recording mode" I hope we can do it this year finally. Between the two of us, we have 4 original songs, and of course, have many others to choose from. It would be exciting!

Tonight, the kids find themselves dwelling in the story of fireflies. They love them and want to keep them. I remember very well wanting to keep my lightning bugs, also. The tough things that childhood entails.

The book I am reading, called THE MOMMY MANUAL, is like my second Bible. I purchased it at an outlet store nearby, on sale, too, and it has been well worthwhile. It has helped me take a step back or two, even, and try to get more on my children's level. Asking yourself questions...how does she like to sit and work at her writing, what sets her off in a meltdown, would it help if she turned her paper a little more to the left so she could write better, does she feel accepted and needed in her own environment, does she feel important...do I belittle her attempts (by the way..yes I do and that makes me feel bad...she's so precious, but my darling girl does have some balance and grace issues), can I encourage her more, give her more of a childlike environment (put pictures up at her eye level, make sure she has her own working space, but still private)..well I could go on but I'll wait to write more another day.

3 comments:

Kimmy said...

You always find such good shopping deals! Good job;-)

I'll be looking forward to that Christmas CD!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there...It's writing time: thanks for the phun with the kids even if Buddy just wanted to throw Noodles into the pool...I hope we can see the swimsuit and boots show sometime...we are looking forward to tomorrow.

LTTS

Sam said...

Its interesting how often we forget to adapt our surroundings to kids. Pictures at their eye level, making art supplies accesible, etc. We get so hung up on being worried that they'll break something or mess something up, that we don't let them be kids. Cool insights, Amy.