Friday, August 17, 2007

Attic Memories

A few weeks ago I brought home treasures of my childhood. Many, well, I have to admit, MOST of the treasures, were books. My dad and I share an avid love for books. My years of parenthood haven't brought as much book reading for myself, or buying, but the love is still there.

Two books in particular bring back so many past, wonderful thoughts and feelings.

The Tanglewood's Secret and Treasures of the Snow, both by Patricia M. St. John.

The latter I heard last year on the radio as a show, and it was superb. Although the first link to this book is for the movie, I never saw it. Now, I will certainly be looking for it. This one, too, is my favorite of her books. It is about forgiveness...a special kitten and a special little boy, and two older children that need to forgive and be at peace. I just tear up thinking about it. I am so glad I was a pack rat growing up and that my parents so wonderfully and willingly let me keep my childhood in boxes, just waiting to be given to my kids.

Some other things in those boxes: Barbies, a bead loom, Sylvanian Families, all my miniatures, my old high school JV jacket (what in the WORLD am I supposed to do with THAT now?), books from the 1800s, and lots of spellers. Oh, and some diaries I kept as a girl. Ahem, one entry is so funny. One day I say I love this boy. The next this other boy. Another day, well, another boy.

And then..

The next entry is I hate all boys! LOL! So typical of kids!

I read one entry that talked about an elementary teacher I had, who was a favorite, Mrs. Mills. She attends my church, so I'll have to show her. She'll get a kick out of it.

I will slip this little note in this entry, too. I have a devotional blog set up here if you would like to visit.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Mrs. Mills was and still is one of my favorite teachers! I will never forget that she read us the Christmas story about Jesus' birth. That was back in the day when you could still get away with that. She is amazing. I'll never forget her. I used to see her in the library and she never forgot who I am. That too will always amaze me.

Anonymous said...

Yea...you have the boxes now!...but they were fun for us to check out too...(truth:we did not read the diary)...and now you can pass on these treasures...
LTTS