Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A wish to be, back then

My dad and I have always been kindred hearts in the fact that we wished that we have lived around the 1800s, perhaps 1700s. Reason being, our hearts have always had a soft spot for Native American Heritage. We both are so affected by the processes and people that have brought heartache to the Nation. It's just plainly this: heartache. During my time at YSU, I spent many hours researching and studying and learning and writing...about Native Americans, and I know I didn't even get to scratch the surface. I even participated in a quite heavy American Indian Law class. But, it is when I see movies and documentaries that my heart turns like a knife is in it...

I watched a part of Bury My Heart AT Wounded Knee, and I just cried. I recorded it on our DVDR system so I will watch the beginning later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi...interestingly, Dee Brown's book, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" initiated my original heartache years ago. From there, I continued to reserve a heart-space for learning, studying Native American ways and peoples.

LTTS

Sam said...

Their culture surely was one we could have learned a lot from. One of the most important being the love and respect of Mother Earth. They knew how to care for Her and treat Her so She would return the kindness.

It's kind of sad they didn't follow their great leaders (like Tecumsah) and fell to the Europeans. It's easy to blame the whiteman, but they are as much to blame for their own demise as anybody. You're right, very sad.