I guess that is the question I've been trying to answer for months now. I do believe the church change was a major answer of prayer in simplifying my life, and my family's. Making changes in what you prioritize daily. For me, as I am attempting this venture, it is concentrating on raising my children. Organizing things in the house. Paying closer attention to fewer CLOSE friends. Praying for ALL my friends. Reaching out to NEW people. And, submersing myself in the thought and TRUTH that I need Jesus most every day, more than a conversation with anyone else. At church Sunday, the sermon touched on lots that I have been mulling over my brain. Not as far as monetary giving though, as the idea of giving yourself entirely to God and finding what your purpose through Him is. In no way do I ever want to stop serving in different areas, music being one of them, but just really listening to that voice that prods me along in doing things that are helpful and beneficial to others is something to really take hold of. Life is busy, with two children, and one on the way. Staying healthy is one of my main goals right now, both physically and mentally, for if that isn't the case, everything else will just go awry. I see great purpose in my children, caring for them and making sure their needs are met- spiritually, socially, physically...and I do believe they are being met, even more than I imagined. God truly does take care of us. Different opportunities are opening up to be involved in church, and I am trying to be attentive to what I can do, without sacrificing my own sanity and well being of my family. And, I know that I can do what He leads me to do, BECAUSE of being attentive to how to simplify things. Rich is all about simplifying things. For that, I am blessed! And glad! He is an uncomplicated person, and I really appreciate that about him. I am NOT uncomplicated. I am trying to be though. Simpler, so that an inspired and refreshed spirit can exist. Being simpler means being content in your life, I think. And for me, that means not trying to pursue anything from my hobbies that would help bring any sort of extra income. Really. I have tried this, and it just produces stress. And, it has not been even about getting extra money, but more that successful feeling I'd get FROM recognition from people via photography shoots. So, I am NOT going to pursue my photography for a long time. I have always wanted my hobbies and passions to be used as a ministry, and in particularly, photography. And as far as music goes, I like to write music, particularly piano solos, and the time for that is really nonexistent. I miss writing, other than here on the blog. I would love for my scrapbooking to reach a different level. But, keeping the stress away requires some leaving some dreams on the backburner right now. And that's okay. It really is. Hopefully, God-willing, this stay at home mom will be able to accomplish some other dreams. I know I am extremely blessed for living THIS dream. Being a mother and wife. Out of everything I wanted in life. This was it. Completely. It is TOUGH. It is REWARDING though somedays it doesn't seem to be. It is a BLESSING.
Here's a whimsical, fairly light hearted song I found on this blog while looking at samples of some other blogs. There are some very touching posts about people in Rwanda. And beautifully done photographs.
Lyrics:
Well I feel like an old hobo,
I'm sad lonesome and blue
I was fair as the summer day
Now the summer days are through
You pass through places
And places pass through you
But you carry 'em with you
On the souls of your travellin' shoes
Well I love you so dearly I love you so clearly
Wake you up in the mornin' so early
Just to tell you I got the wanderin' blues
I got the wanderin' blues
And i'm gonna quit these ramblin' ways one of
these days soon
And I'll sing
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs...
Well it's times like these
I feel so small and wild
Like the ramblin' footsteps of a wanderin' child
And I'm lonesome as a lonesome whippoorwill
Singin these blues with a warble and a trill
But I'm not too blue to fly
No I'm not too blue to fly cause
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs...
Well I love you so dearly
I love you so fearlessly
Wake you up in the mornin' so early
Just to tell you I got the wanderin' blues
I got the wanderin' blues
And I don't wanna leave you
I love you through and through
Oh I left my baby on a pretty blue train
And I sang my songs to the cold and the rain
I had the wanderin' blues
And I sang those wanderin' blues
And I'm gonna quit these ramblin' ways
One of these days soon
And I'll sing...
The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs....
[I don't care if the sun don't shine
I don't care if nothin' is mine
I don't care if I'm nervous with you
I'll do my lovin' in the wintertime] - Syd
Barrett
Monday, June 23, 2008
How do you simplify your life?
Posted by Sweet Peripety at 1:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







7 comments:
i just love reading your posts. really puts my days into perspective about being a stay at home mom. there's so much more to that that we will never even get to see...but HE does.
I like that song. Very mellow!!
I have so been on the same journey as you amy. I have given up music performance entirely because I really believe that God has made it clear to me that he needs me to be Dave's helper, and mother to my kids. And beyond that to create a home and family that is all about Him. I just couldn't do that and anything else. Believe me I tried and it made me miserable. I'm really at peace now with who I am and who my family is. Our goal is to glorify him by who we are as a family. Good for you for looking to God and noone else for your satisfaction! Be assured that you will live life to the full even though it appears to be too simple!
Great post Amy. I believe you totally hit the nail on the head for me. Simplifying your life is a discipline. One that I am having to learn.
I love reading about your own journey Amy. It is refreshing and encouraging.
This is a remarkably insightful, rich post.
LTTS
Hope that you are feeling well, glad that is a priority. It sounds like you have your priorities in order, the rest will follow. Stay strong!
Great post, Amy. We could all use a bit of self examination and simplification. We live such maxed-out lives and nobody thinks they can give any of it up. In reality though, all we need is family, food, and God; the rest is just extra. Once we get that mindset, God is gracious to give us the things that then make it easier to live. I think some people think that ideal is a dream or just stupidly unrealistic, but I find it common sense. Thanks for the post, it really makes me think.
Post a Comment