Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Yellow Room Makeover

When we moved into this house I knew right away I wanted a bright room for Ella. She loves the color yellow, so the walls were painted this color. Plus, I am not one for changing things a lot and yellow just seemed alright from toddler to who knows what. Anyways, my sister in law, Lisa, the wonderful decorator she is, agreed to help me with some bedding and curtains, etc, as part of Ella's bday and Christmas gift a few years ago. Let me tell you, that quilt she made? A LABOR OF LOVE. I know it took her hours upon hours. It's beautiful, and I am never letting go of it! I had found that fabric on my own, through Ebay, and thought it was perfect for this little girl's room of mine. She also made the pillows, and then delicately stitched patches and hearts of various fabrics on the white curtain. The little frame on Ella's dresser she put together. The frame beside it is one I had altered awhile back, with a picture of our other place, when Ella was very little. The box tied with ribbon to hang was also created by Lisa, as were the letters on the wall. The two tutus hanging up are very special to me. The pink one was made by my Grandma. She also made my niece, Abigail, one. The white one is also another Lisa creation. You really should check out her blog. They are still trying to fnd a house near here, etc., so I know she hasn't done much with it as of late, and she had another blog but decided to switch back to blogger. Anyways, hope you enjoyed the pics. I sure do!! LOL! My closet photos did not turn out, and just as well, because I would probably get comments here like what PROBLEM do you have with clothes??!?!? I would reply, well, I love them. Especially on little girls! There is one pic of some of my favorite dresses Ella wears these days. Or, rather, has not worn yet but will hopefully soon. The doll was mine growing up. My favorite one. It has a definite played with look, but that just adds to her charm. The hat you see is one I found at an antique store. Not real antique or vintage though. I really enjoy Ella's room. I put her books in a drawer under her bed. We had this pottery barn like dollhouse shelf on the floor but it just got so messy with all her toys. Putting them in those storage units helped so much. ALL of the items in there are basically those little toys that just go everywhere and you lose. I almost forgot- the canopy with butterflies was a consignment store find. I like it because it sort of hides Ella's play space. The dollhouse was a great garage sale find. Also, hanging on Ella's closet door is a box purse I altered by painting and then papering. I added a touch of beads and letter stickers. It's hard to get Ella not to play with that, as I really prefer it as a decoration though! Next time, I'll get a shot of my wacky pink 80s radio Ella found in my childhood loot in the basement. It works, still, which I think is great. Brings back memories.



















12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful room! I love it!

april said...

i love the yellow walls! what a nice beautiful gift :)

Ami said...

lovely! I love yellow bedrooms! I had one of my own. My own girls like the purple/green/pink combo.

squillen said...

Oh it's so pretty!!!!

ricanlaw said...

Wow, that room is beautiful! You did such an awesome job and such a haven for a little girl.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet, dreamy place for your dear daughter. I love it!
Anne aka anniescraps

liz mataraza said...

i'm so glad you posted pics! it is beautiful and so very sweet!

stephanie howell said...

absolutely darling.

Christie Wildes said...

ohh, it looks great!!! the walls are pretty and all the fun girlie accents are just perfect. :)

congrats on getting it done - i bet your dd enjoys it.

waleska said...

very pretty :)

Casey said...

I love the patches on the curtains! I've been trying to find something to add to my daughter's white curtains... maybe some patches

The Mom said...

the room is beautiful!!!