Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ending with a bee sting!

Today was a day of remembering.

A day of putting to rest the physical being of someone who has passed on.

Being my third grandparent of four to pass on, it was hard. As you can probably tell from my earlier posts, this grandfather of mine was very special. I don't suppose I can say much more...

I loved hearing others talk about my grandfather today. A memorial service that went two hours long, did NOT seem that long. I listened to every bit of what treasured friends needed to share. I enjoyed playing the piano for my grandfather. I loved seeing the draped American flag that was later so exquisitely folded and handed to my grandmother near the end of the service. A treasure are those veterans. Taps was beautiful. So meaningful.

All while this was going on, Ella sat quietly with her daddy and I. Philip was taken out to be watched by a few friends. It worked out quite nicely, since the minutes stretched a bit there (which, again, was not upsetting or anything, but it was really the first funeral service I was at that was so long!).

Later, about the time of the meal (or feast, rather) that we enjoyed with so many family and friends, of the church there and far away, my friend told me what happened while her kids and Philip were playing. Somehow, Philip happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. He actually got stung SIX times outside. The poor, but tough, fellow. He never had been stung before. Apparently, that was definitely a suprise, and as it was to be found out, thankfully, he wasn't allergice. He cried for mommy, and only was comforted then by some crushed ice (which he does like to eat sometimes!). He got stung on his stomach and his back. Thankfully, baking soda did the trick. And, I am extremely grateful for the care he was given. I think that if I had been there, oh...dear...I can only imagine. I am not so smooth and calm in situations like that. Not at all. Nevertheless, as I was being told all this, my heart was pounding greatly.

Now, at the end of the day, my little boy is still going strong. He didn't have an accident today, either. I am so proud of him. I bet his great grandpa is too.

4 comments:

Tara said...

You have my condolences. Just looking at the photos of your grandfather, I can see the kind soul that he was (and I suppose, still is!). It's funny, I was just thinking of my Grandpa today and missing him. He was 94 when he passed away almost 5 years ago and I can still see his face and hear his voice and smell him whenever I think about him.
Wishing you all sorts of wonderful memories in the years to come!

Anonymous said...

Thank you and Rich for your music and your presence yesterday. You were a blessing and were richly blessed.

LTTS

Kristii said...

Sending you my thoughts and prayers!! Thinking of you even now!
Poor guy! 6 stings-that's terrible!!

vtpuggirl said...

It's awful to get stung. I still remember it from when I was a child. Hope your little guy feels better.