Saturday, July 26, 2008

Overwhelmed by the love

I am, along with the rest of my family, overwhelmed by the love and care shown by those who stopped by last night to pay respects to this wonderful, Godly man I was so blessed to have as my Grandpa.

The line was long...all the time. Very overwhelming to think how much my Grandpa has meant to others, and how people who knew him little but knew one of us standing there by him and came. God bless you all.

I am honored to be able to play the piano today, for the service this early morning, as a piano special, then another with my brother on guitar and Rich on harmonica, and also for several hymns- congregational singing. After another hour of "calling" before the service, the memorial will have included a military service, as well. My Grandpa was a proud veteran. And always thankful for this amazing country.

This morning, the slide show my brother made will be shown on the bigger screen in our former church's (but my grandparents' current church) sanctuary. He did this beautifully. After everyone had left last night we all sat and watched it. My Grandma's tears were ones of joy, though. Yes, sorrow for missing the one who has taken care of her, strengthened her,loved her, and prayed with her all these years.

One man said in line...."If Bill didn't make it to Heaven, I quit!" We thought that quite funny. For he KNOWS how much he loved Grandpa and he knows how much Grandpa loved the Lord.

Another, a man who was Rich's age, "He was my best friend."

And, that is what he was, besides a Husband, Father, and Grandfather. He was a friend. He touched many many many lives. I think of all the conversations that he has struck up, so many I don't know, but have heard about, and how some of those have brought certain people to the Lord. I know of one young man who was in his teens- and had a very hard and troubled family life- when my grandpa reached out to him, and eventually came to their church, and bonded with those there, and even more with my grandparents...and came to know Jesus as his Savior. What a treasure this man is, and was, and will be in Heaven.

God is never late. He was one time with my Grandpa. I could have stayed beside him last night forever. It was hard to break away. I put a little note from our family beside him, and wept as I saw beautiful single roses, one for each Bill and I, and four for each grandchild, including the one that will not see his great grandpa until, God willing, he himself is in Heaven.

Thank you, friends, for all your prayers, and thoughts. And calls.

4 comments:

Susan Beth said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wondeful man. I can't wait until I get to meet him in Heaven. Isn't it wonderful to know there are so many people waiting for us when we get there!

Alex Hardy said...

what an amazing tribute to a wonderful man ...
and that's so heart-warming that you and your family will be playing instruments at his service.
i bet he's all smiles looking down at your family.

Nicole said...

thinking of your family Amy...he clearly had a lasting effect on you and for that, you can be grateful.

vtpuggirl said...

Beautifully written, so sorry for your loss. Sounds like the world lost a good man.