Sunday, August 03, 2008

A bit of melancholy

Yesterday and today....a bit of melancholy, yes. We all went to the neighbor boy's 7th birthday party yesterday. Ended up staying there for 3 hours. The kids enjoyed themselves so much. We really appreciate these certain neighbors, and enjoy "nurturing" that friendship between our kids. Ella started calling her friend's dad "uncle." HA! Anyways, Rich and I ended up sitting with the grandparents. And, if you know anything about Rich at all, you should know that he has the great gift with conversing with the older generation. Thus, we had great conversation with this over-60-years-married couple. Add that fact with the WW2 veteran hat placed upon the grandfather's head, and there you have a big reason for my sadness. A comment made by the grandfather was, "did you know 1000 of us die every day?" I held up until we got home, and just cried. That generation of people is quite golden. So special. What they sacrificied before the war, during, and after. I feel we have a great loss as this is all happening. Later, Rich dropped me off at my grandma's and then took the kids elsewhere to play. We had an hour just to chat. It was very nice to do that, by myself, though she always says I don't know how much having those kids around means to her.
Today, I was again quite emotional about my grandpa, and some other things. Music being one of them.
Tonight, I just tried to hold on to the moments I had with my kids. Seeing Ella for the very sweet and loving girl she is. Admiring her, and telling her, that she is so good at riding her bike, not a tricycle, but a BIKE, which she has been doing for quite some time now. Almost a year, or maybe, a year even. Philip, for doing so many big boy things. Getting potty trained (or getting there LOL), and always loving "mommy's baby." That is sweet. He says mommy's baby is "coot" (for cute).
I have been taking the challenge of working crossword puzzles lately. That was a great pasttime of my grandpa's. Also, praying more. And, I have been reading some western collections of his, that I was bequeathed so to say. I share that love of history, especially the love of that particular time period, with my dad, and my grandpa.
*******************
Well, it's actually Monday morning now, and I realized I forgot to talk about 2 highlights of my day yesterday....an Applebee's date with my Richie, AND, winning a scrapbooking goody drawing on the Studio Calico board (a wonderful and sweet design team member was personally giving away some stuff!). Can't wait for my happy mail this week!!! Don't know what I'm getting!

7 comments:

liz mataraza said...

it's so important that we all teach our children about this generation, as most of them will never know it! history books don't tell of this stuff.

and now we have our own generation of heroes with those fighting now, you know? it's the same type of battle, just a different time and place.

love the uniform...so very handsome!

vtpuggirl said...

This is why we scrapbook right, so that these special people will live on even after they are gone. It might take some time before you can do that though. Congrats on the RAK, post it when you get it so we can see with you!

Sugar Spice Cabinet said...

Oh wow it sounds like you had a very full weekend, with lots of good times. I don't have kids but I can kind of relate, with my sister I get to raise her and seeing her do this from like getting her license to her first day college they are very precious to me.

Congrats on the RAK.

HennHouse said...

Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Those memories will keep you going. Hold onto them tightly.

Anonymous said...

Your post makes me want to pick up the phone and call my grandparents! Some of my best childhood memories were with them. Very touching.

Anonymous said...

I love talking with my grandparents about their lives growing up. One of the most emotional stories I ever heard my grandfather tell were about his time in the Korean war and the friends he lost.

And lucky you on the RAK! Woo Hoo! Take pics!