Are you ready? I am! I have been thinking a lot about my grandfather, who passed away this year. He was a special man. Hard working, intelligent, faithful, humorous, and towards the later years...he had become something through the wonderful grace of God- gentle. I don't ever remember him being a complete "rough" sort, but after he went into cardiac arrest (I was in high school at that time), and came back, he was even more so a changed man. At that time, there were several nurses who began to care deeply for my grandpa, as a friend. He then had the opportunity to talk about his salvation, and he would always have a smile for them, or visit them, talk to them, when he would have to return to the hospital for one reason or another. One of the nurses that played a vital role in sustaining his life lived just a couple houses down where we (my parents and I) lived. She and her husband had a couple of young sons. A wonderful family. A few years ago, and I can't believe it's been that long, her and her husband came home one night, and as she got out of the car, she fell. She had bumped her head, but went to bed, and only after that it was discovered there was a problem. Later that night she was taken to the hospital, where she passed away. It was a hard, hard time for that family. I remember my grandfather had prayed with her some time before this incident, and his tears fell freely. My husband worked with this woman, as she was a nurse, and his job as a dietitian directed him to the department, and felt the pain as well. She was just ONE of the many, many, many my grandpa befriended. It was hard for my grandpa to see this young, vibrant woman depart from this world. After that, I think he was even more intent on befriending others....making sure that really, about everyone he met, heard the gospel. It was important to him, and I am thankful that he held on to that legacy.
I have a personal belonging of his that portrays a bit more of his legacy...it's a journal. A journal I had actually given to him, way back in 1998. I have read through it, and each entry generally begins and ends the same. A verse to start with. Daily events....what Grandma had prepared for him to eat...the latter was a very important thing for him. I guess you would call it "old school." I remember when we would chat on the phone, he would always ask me what I had for dinner...and go on to state what he had. Tonight, I was thinking upon this fact, knowing that in my mind, it was quite funny of a thing to be so into the food of the day, my grandpa, but trying to figure out WHY it was such a big thing for him. I think I got it....
He stated what he ate because he KNEW that it was his wife that prepared it for him. Talking with great affection about his meals showed that he CARED DEEPLY for my grandma, and did NOT take her for granted. He was thankful. Very thankful.
I have learned so much from my grandfather in the 28 years I had with him. I am finding that even now, after his passing, I am learning even more.
I want to leave you with an entry from his journal. I don't think he'd mind at all, or "a'tall" as he would sometimes say hehe...
February 19, 1999
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock."
Up at 6:30 am. Got fire going in "Hersehoogel" (Amy typing in here...whatever that means! LOL). Fixed grapefruit and coffee, Helen fixed good hot oatmeal and raisin and bagel and jelly. Betty called, wanted to meet for coffee in town, so Helen and I went in for coffee.
Amy called and suggested we have lunch at Pizza Hut- so good to be with Grandaughter.
I had coffee at Burger King (Amy typing here- one of his hangouts...), while Helen done some grocery shopping and also Pamida to look around.
Came back home, took antibiotic for cough, real strong stuff....Tried taking a short nap-not successful. "E"mail from Amy- Helen "E"mailed a note to Dave. Good nite- Oh yes, called Clarkie (Amy typing here- his best buddy who has also passed away quite some time ago now). good to talk to him.
26 degrees.
WGS (Amy typing here....William George Snyder)
Another entry, for the 20th of February, ends with this...
Helen brought one back (coffee) for me. She also brought in several loads of firewood, bless her heart. She certainly has been exceptionaly good and patient with me since surgery.
Helen baked banana nut bread and gingerbread today, also she made "wedding soup"...mmm good! Done a few crosswrod puzzles and read some in my library book.
Grandpa has definitely passed on his love of reading to me, as well as an intrigue with crossword puzzles..oh, and scrabble. Neither he nor I like(d) to lose at that game. :)
My husband just asked me what was I writing..a tribute? HAHA...I suppose that means I should quit now!
Monday, February 23, 2009
Let's have a little tribute today...and some life lessons.
Posted by Sweet Peripety at 8:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
Your grandpa was a special man indeed.
My mom had some similar journals complete with what she ate that day and when I called, etc.
Indeed, you (we) have been blessed with the touch of a heart that was continuously learning to love and live. We received the benefits that are yet spilling over today.
Thank you, too. It is another reason to LTTS.
What a wonderful tribute! You have been blessed for sure!! How special to have his journal today!! Thank you for sharing!! You have blessed my heart!!
My dad wasn't so much a 'journaler' as he was a 'jotter'. He left tons of notebooks with brief notes and thoughts...the most special is the one from our trip to Ireland -
I found it to be such a blessing that the man you saw on the outside was that and so much more on the inside. It's one thing to say, "I enjoyed seeing you today." It's another to see that was their inner most thought.
That probably doesn't make sense. But it made me want to be the same person inside that I am outside.
And I get what you mean by the food - it's not just a nutrition, it's a lifestyle and a show of heart!
I can say with verified certainty that your Grandfather was greatly loved and even moreso respected. Of all the people that my Dad remembers from "home", he mentions or quotes your grandpa more than anyone else. He was quite a man.
Post a Comment