Thursday, August 13, 2009

Visiting a pasttime

I love to read, and have found myself in the midst of READING, READING, READING lately.





Reading to my daughter.





Reading to my eldest son.





Reading to my youngest son.





Reading about homeschooling.





Reading about first graders.





Reading lesson plans.





Reading books for blog reviews.





Reading book lists for various lesson plans.





Reading my childrens' minds (naw..just kidding on this one...I really wish I could though!).





Reading music.





Reading my own thoughts and heart...trying at least.





Reading old books of mine..and this last bit of information is what is prompting this post...in the midst of trying to prepare for a garage sale (who knows, however, if one will even happen!), I have collected a few books that I have carried along with me through life and brought them upstairs to leaf through.





One in particular, had this affect on me..have you had this happen to you ever before? Where you find something of your past and all at once it brings emotions to you that warms your heart and mind? Well, it happened to me, when I saw this book. I don't recall when I had gotten it. I am assuming at a Scholastic Book Fair in elementary school...I so loved reading growing up. I read, read read read...and read some more. Thankfully, my kids are starting to get that reading is AWESOME! We are going to the library more often now...and it is helping. Well, back to this book. Simple book of poetry for two voices..black and white illustrations...although they are black and white they are "naturey" and have a touch of whimsy.







In my research for finding lesson plans on the internet, I found one that uses this book! Go figure!



Insects Through Literature

Now that I shared a little story that no one probably cares about, I shall tell you that I have spent numerous hours the past couple months (which probably add up to DAYS I tell you!) preparing for the homeschooling venture. I have enjoyed it, and only a couple times have gotten stressed out. Thankfully. I am very confident that we will succeed, and I am confident because of how the Lord has prepared each and every step of this new journey. I sent in our official papers this week. I have almost all of the books we are using. I have extra supplies we need. I have a bulletin board, big dry erase board, some various art materials, several binders with sleeved prinouts that I have found on the computer...and wonderful wonderful books that we are using for her first grade curriculum. I did not go with just one company, I used various from all around. I know that created more work for me, yada yada yada, but honestly, it was super fun, and now has developed a great passion for researching curriculum and all things close to it on the web and library. That joke's on me..who really NEEDS another all consuming hobby! **Insert LOL here!***

I must say that another post shall include some information on the books we are using..the particulars and all, and why I chose them for Ella this year. I am soooo excited about this. And, thankfully, so is Ella. We start SOON! A couple weeks! Along with Philip who begins preschool! Sniff Sniff Sniff!! Preschool and first grade! WHEN did this happen??!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?! And Will David..who is crawling and pulling himself up now? Ayi yi yi!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and each day becomes a walk or a run or both...sounds like you made terrrifffic progress. I know your kids and you will each be reward for your efforts (time,thought,energy)

No matter what..
keep reading AND
LTTS

Sam said...

Reading really is a beautiful thing.

Sam said...

And that reading minds thing would be so, so awesome!!!