This past week or so since I've blogged "our life" has had its ups and downs. Several real downer days with kids' behaviors. NOT fun...let me tell you. NOT FUN. But, we managed with prayer and God's wisdom. Those kinds of things end up blowing over to school time and that can be frustrating. We've had mountains to cross but with those resolved we can now climb even better and face those same circumstances and attitudes with more grace and confidence.
A blessing came to us via form of my parents offering to watch our children (and we handed off Ella and Philip only) so we could go on a date...one in I don't know how long. And yes...I call a date with one child in hand a date...one's perspective changes a bit when you have multiple children. ;0 We went to Aladdin's and I had the most delightful salad EVER! Yes..EVER! It had a variety of fresh greens, crumpled feta cheese, juicy craisins, crunchy pine nuts, yellow squash (sounds strange but it was fantastic in this salad!), grapes, small but tasty pieces of grilled chicken, and a splattering of honey dijon dressing. A small fortune at 8.99...but oh so worth it. I am making myself quite hungry again!
We also sneaked in a short visit to Barnes and Noble and then to the Family Christian bookstore where, ahem....I found some eye catching things. Well, I found these fantastically appropriately aimed devotional workbooks for boys, ages 2-5, and girls, 6-9. I was truly delighted to have found these treasures....and the best part is my kids LOVE them. There are about 100 different devotionals to choose from with no matter to what is chosen first to complete. Each begin with a verse and short story to read. Then, some questions to answer right there on the page. And then a prayer. The other side has some sort of activity- some require some extra time or supplies, but most of them are quite simple. I am incorporating these daily devotions into our homeschool time...probably two or three a week though.....and a review of the verse on the in between days!
Homeschooling has gone well. Ella has really done well with her reading, especially. I was worried about her getting into "chapter books" but wow...she's done it herself. She completed a Nancy Drew mystery paperback (about an 8 year old Nancy) the other day. She is working on another chapter book, from a different series, and is reading more than just 2 pages a night like before ...haha.... One thing to work on daily----- SPELLING! Some of our studies go slowly, at a crawl, because I am not having her do too much "inventive" spelling. Our funnest studies- art (which she excels at) and history. We have done a lot of creative things also for science. It seems, too, that a lot of our studies run into each other...which is really good, because I find it easier to plan our day! For instance- this week, science with reading go together. Also, manners and art, with a bit of a mini science project. Also, our English and History/Geography intertwine. Awesome.
I have a sleeping baby on my lap here...must go on to put him in his little bed. Don't forget about the previous post's giveaway!
Monday, September 21, 2009
Ups and Downs
Posted by Sweet Peripety at 10:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comments:
IMSPOU...ltts
Post a Comment