Tuesday, July 10, 2007

You hem me in, before and behind...

I found that verse in Psalm a few days ago. It was one of those, thank you, Lord, for speaking to me moments.

I found and bought an old quilt for $10 that was quite brilliant yet in its coloring but had seams apart all over the beautiful wedding ring pattern. The colors reminded me of shabby chic styles and colors, so I had to purchase it. I am trying to collect quilts, and this one was at my price range..handsewn for the most part too.

My grandmother said yes to my request of fixing it up..and she said it'll take awhile. I knew that, but something about knowing she was doing this with so much love in her heart affected me in a way that I started thinking so much about her, her life, and the pain she is in right now.

Soon after this, I found this verse..or was led to this verse. I think of Christ and his pain as he "hemmed" us in, to create a final beautiful masterpiece....and then I imagine my grandmothers hands, bruised and slightly shaken and bent, laboring over my quilt. To hem it in, and recreate the work that was started and finished who knows when. My grandmother wondered about the story behind the quilt. She doesn't have to wonder any longer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often wonder what it would be like to have that ability to look at something for more than face value. If I had found a quilt that was falling apart for $10, I would have laughed and thought the person selling it was crazy for not just giving it away, it was afterall falling apart. And I lack the ability to relate it to scripture. I certainly wish I had that skill, but I don't.

I often wish I could find a bible study for someone that knows nothing of the bible. Maybe one day I'll look into this further.

Anyway, all of that to say what a wonderful treasure you found.

Jennifer

Sam said...

Not sure who you are Jennifer, but my wife would join that Bible study. She was talking about that very thing the other day. No pretenses, no big heads or judgmental attitudes, just loving and sharing.

Anonymous said...

From a "old student of Psalms"...quite an insightful view of that verse...keep the treasures coming.

LTTS